Road Trip Checklist
Whether you plan to go for a day or for a weekend or longer, it's important to have your vehicle inspected before taking it on vacation. Getting your car checked out before you leave will help you avoid the inconvenience and potential safety hazards of breaking down miles away from home. Here is a list of the top 10 things to check before hitting the road.
Schedule a checkup with your neighborhood auto repair center.
- Have any maintenance services performed - like getting your oil changed.
- Engine Oil
- Transmission Fluid
- Power Steering Fluid
- Windshield Washer Fluid
- A dirty air filter can waste gas and cause the engine to lose power.
- Have you heard any sounds that might indicate your brakes need to be replaced? If you aren't sure, take a look at this blog post.
- Make sure there is plenty of tread ware and that there aren't any tears or bulges in the sidewall.
- Do they have uneven wear? You may need to get your tires rotated and balanced.
- Does your car need an alignment?
- Make sure your spare tire is in good shape.
- Are they properly inflated? Driving on under-inflated tires impairs the vehicle's handling, shortens the tire's life and can lead to tire failure.
Hoses & Belts
- They can become cracked, brittle, frayed or loose.
- These are critical to the proper functioning of the electrical system, air conditioning, power steering, and the cooling system.
- They generally only last about 6 months so make sure the blades aren't dry, brittle or broken.
- Hazy and worn headlight lenses can drastically cut down your nighttime visibility.
- Make sure the battery terminals are free from corrosion and the cables are tight.
- Any Dekalb Tire location can also perform a load test on your battery to make sure it is in top working condition.
Do you have an emergency kit?
Here are the top 10 things you should include in your emergency kit:
- First Aid Kit
- Jumper Cables
- Seat Belt Cutter & Window Breaker
- Phone Charger
- Tire Pressure Gauge & Tire Sealant
- Tire Jack & Lug Wrench
- Here are the top 10 things you should include in your emergency kit:
With locations throughout Georgia, Dekalb Tire and Automotive Service is a full-service tire dealer and automotive repair center. If your vehicle needs any maintenance before hitting the road, call us at (404) 252-9895 or visit our website to find a location near you.